[plug] ppp dialup problems

Len Bird lenbird at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 17 21:51:03 WST 2000

Bruce Fountain wrote:

> > Not only is the modem not dialling, it's not responding at all.  Are you
> > sure it's plugged into the correct serial port?
> >
> > If you've looked into all those things (power, cables etc), then try
> > talking direct to the modem with minicom.  Run 'minicom -s' to tell
> > minicom what serial port to use (among other things), then see if the
> > modem responds when you run minicom without -s.
>
> It is definitely plugged into the correct serial port, because
> when I activate the connection the "TR" light on the modem goes
> on. When I deactivate the connection the light goes off. Running
> minicom also toggles the light. I have no idea what the "TR"
> light means since my manual seems to have gone missing.
>
> It is possible that I have a hardware fault in either the
> modem or the serial connection. This is an old system and it
> has recently crossed the nullabor in a seatainer.
>
> Bruce.

> This email and any files transmitted with it from Mi Services
> Group may contain information which is
> privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.
> If it is not addressed to you, please immediately contact
> nzpostmaster at mi-services.com and do not use, disclose,
> copy, distribute or retain any of it without our authority.

Hi Bruce:  Setting up ppp causes mant people lots of headaches. I cannot
offer any direct advice
re your problem, but may I suggest that you download a small program called
"eznet" . It can be found
on most  Linux servers like Iinet/tucows/linuxberg  I use it in preference to
a ppp setup. You may
have to delete whatever your ppp config currently is to get it to work, but
setting it up is a breeze, and
best of all it works!

Good luck,

Len Bird