[plug] Net module problem

Brian Tombleson brian at ParadigmIT.com.au
Sat Oct 21 19:21:09 WST 2000

Hi List,

I have (what I believe is) an ISA SMC-8013 NIC that I'm trying to get working with a RH6.2/i386 system

/etc/conf.modules:
alias eth0 8390
options io=0x280 irq=3

lsmod shows:
Module    Size         Used By
8390        6140       0    (unused)
autofs      9480       1    (autoclean)

/etc/sysconfig/network:
DEVICE=eth0
NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=true
HOSTNAME=mail
GATEWAY=""
IPADDRESS=192.168.0.201

The doco on the SMC card says it should work with the 8390.o module, but something's not right and I'm bashing myself here trying to figure it out :(  Physical card has lights on it for LNK (On) POL (On) RX (Flickering - On when outside network traffic) and TX (Always Off) - which would indicate that it's functioning ok and I don't have a dicky card.

ifconfig eth0 says:
eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

- Brian.