[plug] Net module problem

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Sun Oct 22 16:03:20 WST 2000

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Brian Tombleson wrote:

> I have (what I believe is) an ISA SMC-8013 NIC that I'm trying to get

> /etc/conf.modules:
> alias eth0 8390

> The doco on the SMC card says it should work with the 8390.o module

The 8390 module is not a net driver as such, it is more like a generic
interface to the driver, and is often loaded by the real driver when you
use modprobe.

"This is the chip-specific code for many 8390-based ethernet adaptors.
 This is not a complete driver, it must be combined with board-specific
 code such as ne.c, wd.c, 3c503.c, etc."

For example if you have an NE2000 card, both the 8390.o and the ne.o
modules are loaded.

I did a quick grep through /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/* for "8013" and got
matches from smc-ultra.c and wd.c

Try using one of those drivers instead

 - Matt