[plug] Mandrake 7.2rc1, StarOffice 6

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Oct 27 08:55:08 WST 2000

Dennis Plester wrote:
> I've just downloaded (3 days!) the Mandrake 7.2 beta 2 and am about to burn
> it onto a CDRW and upgrade. Is it worth the bother and upgrade from my
> current Mandrake 7.1, or should I just wait for the final release and
> download/copy it before upgrading.

7.2beta2 is not too good. Beta1 sucked. The rc1 I have to hand is the equivalent
of ``beta4'' and works pretty well (there is still the odd hiccup like no
configuration window pops up for the SSL section in Konqueror). There seems to
be a determination within Mandrake to have the release out by 28Oct (ie
tomorrow), otherwise there may have been an rc2. IMHO an rc2 would have been a
good idea. When the release happens I will be snarfing a copy double-quick.

> I mainly use my PC for Web surfing, Star Office, CD burning, gaming and a
> little bit of amateur MySQL/PHP development.

Works fine for all of the above, particularly websurfing (see my previous
Konqueror effusion). OpenOffice (the open parts of StarOffice 6) is not in 7.2
because a few essentials like printing were missing. The Helix people have
demoed OpenOffice facilities operating as Bonobo components, so a new Bonobofied
OpenOffice seems a likely proposition in the near future (mdk7.3 or 8.0?).

--
I usually find "alt" + "ctrl" + "clawhammer" to work in those
situations.  I hope to buy an abacus soon, though. -- Panther Wyvern