[plug] O'Reilly

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 1 15:15:19 WST 2000

Colin Muller wrote:

> Bret Busby wrote:
> > >From the email address, I assumed that you were on safari, in the deep,
> > dark, african jungle, looking for Dr Livingstone, or a 100 carrot
> > diamond, or something.
>
> Heh. We have a second home in Durban. I have a .au address, but haven't
> set things up for multiple email id's on the sending side, so the .za is
> what I'm usually using.
>
> > I don't get over that way (UWA), often, now that my car is not well,
> > but, if you happened to be at the installfest, which I am hoping to
> > attend...
>
> I'll certainly bring the book if I get there. Work's been a bit of a
> seven-day-a-week affair recently, so I can't be sure.
>
> I see there's a third edition out just last month - I have the second
> edition. The new edition seems to have dropped the Perl chapter, but has
> added Gnome and KDE plus some other stuff. The table of contents, and a
> sample chapter on rpm an deb, are linked from:
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxnut3/
>
> Colin

Perhaps, bookshop websites, such as nedkelly, could include such URL's,
in their information pages about the books. I think amazon already does.

The same URL, with a "2" subtituted for the "3", gives the 2nd edition
site, so the TOC's can be compared.

Pity about the Perl chapter. Without having seen the content of it, it
sounds like it could have been useful.

What do they mean, "An Alternative Window manager: fvwm2"? I thought the
others were alternative ones!@ I use fvwm2 (or fvwm95; I think is the
same thing?), on my RH 5.2. I thought that was the more standard one.

--

Bret Busby