[plug] Can you hear a sound like the breaking of waves?

Oliver White ojw at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 29 18:17:23 WST 2000

Leon Brooks wrote:

> Lots of things like this, and the overwhelming response to our InstallFest, lead
> me to believe that Linux has hit critical mass, and at the same time Microsoft's
> bubble is bursting.
>
> Have you had similar experiences?

It is indeed exciting. I'm currently involved in the WorldForge project, as you all
know. We've been working to develop a gaming platform for nearly two years now. I
keep thinking "This is going to be as big in the gaming markets as linux is in the
OS market". The fact of the matter is that no one is doing what we're doing, and no
one has a reason to compete with us. We're not developing one game, but a whole
range of tools for developing games. We've already had a little interest from
commercial gaming companies, and that's exciting in itself.

What's even more exciting is that we've actually been in contact with some serious
guru game programmers. Not quite John Ramero, but up there. I've often said "Can
you help us get more attention" or something of the like, and they tell me they
don't need to, that the project is assured success. In a way it feels like we're
just a bunch of people being sucked into a naturally abhorant vacume.

I'm comming to the conclusion that you can't compete with freedom, you can only
resist it's pull.

--
Oliver White