[plug] Debian Grumbling about libncurses

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Apr 2 18:46:51 WST 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Jeffery Wong wrote:

> 1) Recompiling my kernel complains that I need libncurses to be installed
> when i try to run make menuconfig or other similar config editors.
> 2) When installing LanSafe III it also complains "/usr/ls3/install.ls3: can't
> load library 'libncurses.so.3.0' "
>
> I'm sure I have libncurses5 installed and all the dependencies.

Hi Jeffery

You may have libncurses5 (the library) installed, but if you wish to
compile programs that use the ncurses library you will need to have the
include files installed, which under Debian are in the appropriate -dev
package.
Lansafe seems to have a fixed depencency on libncurses version 3, not
version 5, so you will need to install that too.

Solution: apt-get install ncurses3.0 libncurses5-dev

If you want to find out which package a particular file is in, download
the Contents-i386.gz and zgrep through it.

eg:

live:~# zgrep libncurses.so.3.0 potato-Contents-i386.gz
lib/libncurses.so.3.0                   oldlibs/ncurses3.0

 - Matt