[plug] Ideas, anyone

John Breen wombat at wa.apana.org.au
Wed Apr 11 13:14:55 WST 2001

> >2)  The main reason for moving the mobo was vmWare.  Having got vmWare
> >running, it said it wanted a 2.2.17 or later kernel.  I tried 2.2.17, but
it
> >died on a compile, so I wound up getting the full sources for 2.2.19 and
> >going with that.  Now when I start vmWare, it won't read the floppy in my
> >virtual machine, which effectively means I can't start windows.  Any
> >suggestions as to how it might be fixed?
>
> More info please ...
Okay.

> - Is the floppy0 -> /dev/fd0 always showing as connected in VMWare?
Not AFAIR...

> - Is the 'VMWare Tools Install...' mode stuck on? (it sometimes turns
> itself on)
As far as I can see, no - if I boot to the virtual HD (on which I've already
run SYS C:) and do "dir a:", I get a "general failure reading drive A"
message.  In my experience that means that either the disk is unreadable (it
ain't - I can boot off it) or the A: drive simply doesn't exist. If 'vmWare
Tools Install...' were stuck, I'd see files on A:, not this **** message...

> - Is the floppy drive enabled in the Virtual Machine's BIOS?
Yup.  And set to boot before the HDD.

> - I'm assuming the floppy drive works in Linux and the current X user has
> access to it? :) (VMWare should warn you if it isn't)
It is, and it does, but I'm not getting any warnings from vmWare about it...

> - What happens when you try to read a disk, no activity, some activity, a
> puff of smoke?
No activity, just a "General failure..." message

> 2.2.17, 2.2.19 and 2.4.3 work perfectly for mine once you let it compile
> its own modules.
2.2.17 refused to do a make bzImage for me.  This is after doing

make mrproper;make menuconfig
make dep;make clean
make bzImage

2.2.19 went well.  Haven't tried 2.4.x yet...