[plug] Networking Printing under linux.

Steve Vertigan vertigan at bigfoot.com
Wed Apr 25 11:32:35 WST 2001

Alpha wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Have spent part of ANZAC day trying to setup printing over my two box
> linux network.
> We have had simple internet sharing for a while.
>
> I suspect what I am trying to do is not possible with my currently
> configuration but I'm not sure.
>
> Both machines are running workstation instals Mandrake 7.2 with one
> conected to the net by dialup..  I just enabled the network cards
> assigned 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2 address to the them respectively.
> Then just ran the config utility that comes with this distro and
> internet sharing enabled.
>
> Both boxess have the same localhost.localdomain handle. As far as I
> could see no changes were made to /etc/hosts...resolve.conf or any of
> the other of the host of network setup files.

So I'm not sure exactly what your problem is then but if it's trying to
assign domain names to the machines network addresses the /etc/hosts
file should look like this
127.0.0.1		localhost.localdomain
192.168.0.1             box1.localdomain   box1
192.168.0.2             box2.localdomain   box2

On both machines.  localhost just refers to the internal ip 127.0.0.1
which is only reachable by itself.  This should allow you to talk to a
boxes network address by using just 'box1' or 'box2' (the .localdomain
is optional).

> Like wise the ipp printer address and port the default cups print server
> daemon is listening on is the same for both machines

Sounds like they're both setup to only these services from the same
machine they're running on, not an unusual default config for a desktop
machine.  Just configure one to listen on it's network address and the
other to talk to 'box1' or whatever you've put in /etc/hosts.

HTH,
Steve

--
FreeBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org 3.4-STABLE i386
11:20AM  up 2 days,  1:05, 2 users, load averages: 0.49, 0.18, 0.06