[plug] Logical partition...

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sat Aug 4 22:01:02 WST 2001

Craig Foster wrote:

> On 31 Jul 2001 22:11:16 +0800, Shoobs wrote:
>> I have a 40G HDD, and it is has two FAT32 partitions. The first
>> which is the "Active" one is for storage of documents etc. The
>> second has a copy of Win98SE on it, which is for my dad who cannot
>> and refuses to use linux. When i try to create a logical drive with
>> two logical volumes in it (swap and ext2) at the end of the drive,
>> my computer will not read from the second FAT32 drive which has
>> Win98 on it.

 > DOS / Windows should only read from the first primary partition.

Eh? This has *never* been the case for me! And...

 > It is probably best to set it up thus:-

 > Primary 1 - Linux
 > Primary 2 - Windows 98
 > Primary 3 - Linux Swap
 > Logical	1 - Extended 1 - Shared Data

...doing that would, if what you said is right, prevent Windows from
reading *anything* from that drive!

 > It's a sad fact of early eighties thinking. Also Partition Magic will
 > allow multiple primaries, whereas fdisk will warn you...

What has turned up for me is that Windows (particularly 98 and
presumably ME) often(*) goes completely postal if you make an extended
partition that isn't the last (4th) primary. Which is why the above
setup would actually work in practice.

Cheers

(*) Naturally, it doesn't always. This _is_ Windows, after all. )-: