[plug] RE: Sound Card

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Aug 15 23:38:53 WST 2001

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 09:20:57PM +0800, Clinton Butler wrote:
> I have been warned away from Woody for now.. I would have downloaded the whole thing a
> while ago instead of 2.2r3 (Potato)
> I have the sndconfig deb file now.. I think that's enough for now... I do not have a long
> time to update everything right now.
> I do still go to school and cannot afford to baby-sit the box

Well, the method is:

(a) Wake up in the morning.
(b) Find a free phone line that no one minds you using.
(c) Set your /etc/apt/source.list for woody on a local mirror.
(d) Dail your ISP.
(e) apt-get update
(f) apt-get upgrade -d
       wait a few seconds, press Y
       This will DOWNLOAD only. No install, just download.
(g) Go to school
(h) Learn stuff.
(i) Return from school, to find some/all of woody downloaded, but not
    installed.
(j) Now repeat apt-get upgrade, but without the "-d".
(k) Have fun. ;)

It'll take some time. Here's a quicker way. Come to the INSTALLFEST
Saturday August 25th at Hackett Cafe, UWA. Bring a blank CD, and people
will BURN it to CD for you. Bring your machine along, and people will guide
you int he right direction. Tony's doing some work on this, and there will
be an advertisiing campaign to rival... well... anyway... this email is
a prelude to any advertising campaign, OK? So, InstallFest is happening.
More info soon.

  James

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to