[plug] Redhat/RPM dependency question

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Mon Aug 20 10:51:10 WST 2001

Hi all,

Possibly a stupid or you-should-have-read-the-FM question, so I'll keep it
(reasonably) short.

Please note, nothing up my sleeve:

[root at Linux_AU ~/rpms/kde]# rpm -Uhv kdevelop-2.0-1.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
        libfam.so.0   is needed by kdevelop-2.0-1
[root at Linux_AU ~/rpms/kde]#

This is a Redhat 7.1/i386 system at work (I am used to Debian[0]). This sort of
a dependency error message confuses me. Why doesn't it specify the RPM
package it depends on instead of the specific shared library? How on earth
am I supposed to find out what RPM provides this file?

While I'd appreciate if someone can just off the top of their head tell me
which package provides the libfam.so.0 file, I'd appreciate it even more if
you could tell me (or drop a subtle hint to me :) what the general
technique is for working out these sort of dependency issues.

Thanks for any help,

Pete.

[0] ...and I think it's spoiled me. :)
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/

--
I am professionally trained in computer science, which is to say
(in all seriousness) that I am extremely poorly educated.