[plug] slowdown probs

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Wed Aug 22 12:32:34 WST 2001

G'day,

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 12:01:56PM +0800, Christian wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 11:47:59AM +0800, Beau Kuiper wrote:
> >
> > Try using xmms. It seems to be the fastest mp3 player avaliable.
> >
> > But don't expect too much, a P100 doesn't have enough grunt to give
> > justice to mp3s
>
> A few years ago I used to play MP3s on my P100 without any trouble
> whatsoever.  I don't remember which player I used, it might have been
> x11amp if that was around then.  I definitely used the command line
> 'amp' program though and that worked perfectly with no real impact on
> the speed of the rest of the system.

You could always write a wrapper to mpg123 or some other command line player
that writes out a decoded file and play that instead. When you're done, remove
the tmp decoded file. This will need about 10x the disk space of your
largest mp3 (e.g. 4.5Mb mp3 will require about 45Mb of disk space).

---------------
#!/bin/bash

for i in $@; do
	mpg123 -s $i > /tmp/current-tune.raw
	play -c 2 -f s -r 44100 -s w /tmp/current-tune.raw
done
rm /tmp/current-tune.raw

This script is pretty basic and assumes all the mp3s are sampled at 44.1khz.

Later,

Jason Nicholls