[plug] Mail Servers (was Mail Delivery options)

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Aug 22 21:03:36 WST 2001

Damion Hill wrote:

> I've not used qmail so can't recommend it but linux.com is featuring an
> article on setting up qmail with POP, IMAP and Webmail.
> http://www.linux.com/enhance/newsitem.phtml?sid=93&aid=12500
>
> Maybe it will help you make a decision?

Thanks, I'll have a browse of it, but it may be too late. ^_^

I spent most of today doing research and experimenting, mostly with IMAP
servers under Debian:
  UW-IMAP  - Works out of the box, sort of, but no real config (short of
recompiling) options, and really annoying folder system. Because the
"folders" that store messages are files, to get a tree-structure I had to
mkdir the container folders, then touch the message folders. Couldn't get
any of that going from an IMAP client (Netscape 4 & KMail).
  Courier-IMAP  - Seems to be a light-weight one-track IMAP server. I never
managed to get the folders working with it.
  Cyrus-IMAP  - Had the advantage that I'd compiled it by hand under
Solaris in the past. Was quite easy to set up and get operational, with
complete folder abilities from under IMAP clients.

On the Delivery side, I ended up going back to exim, and read some docs on
getting it going with Cyrus. The setup I wanted involves Server-side Mail
filtering, which has a global procmail "recipe", as well as custom user
ones. I managed to get it working by altering exim's procmail delivery
section to use the custom procmail recipe with some different options, to
then deliver to Cyrus. It works fine, but it's logging a lock problem I'll
have to look in to...

Next up is to migrate my Mail Lists. Perhaps it's time to retire the old
custom Perl script and use a mainstream Mail List program. ^_^ Any
recommendations?? (Features currently use include Text config files (which
can be generated from various places), Tag in subject header, Appending ML
footnotes, Archive capabilities, Open or Closed posting. Hmmmm. What's the
PLUG ML use? ^_^)

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :