[plug] Mail Servers (was Mail Delivery options)

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Thu Aug 23 00:27:48 WST 2001

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Next up is to migrate my Mail Lists. Perhaps it's time to retire the old
> custom Perl script and use a mainstream Mail List program. ^_^ Any
> recommendations?? (Features currently use include Text config files (which
> can be generated from various places), Tag in subject header, Appending ML
> footnotes, Archive capabilities, Open or Closed posting. Hmmmm. What's the
> PLUG ML use? ^_^)

SmartList.  I have been very impressed with it.  It's based around
procmail, so it's very powerful, and the configuration is all text -
although the way they provide the sample config file takes a bit of
getting used to (single comment for default, double for alternative)

It can do everything you list above, although I don't like the archiving
capabilities much - better to leave that up to either hypermail or mhonarc
(the latter of which Tony uses to archive the PLUG list, and the former of
which I use to archive another SmartList list I maintain)

 - Matt

P.S. The Debian mailing lists are hosted by SmartList - which I think was
     one of my deciding factors to try it initially.  That, and the
     abundance of security holes in Majordomo at the time.