[plug] Mail Lists (was Mail Servers and before that Mail Delivery options)

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Thu Aug 23 09:26:18 WST 2001

Matt Kemner wrote:

> SmartList.  I have been very impressed with it.  It's based around
> procmail, so it's very powerful, and the configuration is all text -
> although the way they provide the sample config file takes a bit of
> getting used to (single comment for default, double for alternative)

Cool! I'll give it a look...

> It can do everything you list above, although I don't like the archiving
> capabilities much - better to leave that up to either hypermail or mhonarc
> (the latter of which Tony uses to archive the PLUG list, and the former of
> which I use to archive another SmartList list I maintain)

Ok.
One thing I'd like to be able to do is to filter mail messages and attachments,
and convert HTML content to Plain Text content. Basically, I'd like to be able
to do HTML-enhanced newsletters & the like, but give subscribers the option of
using HTML or not, without having to manually do 2 versions. I've looked at
html2text which'll do the actual conversion - I just need to figure out how to
run it over HTML content in a mail pipe.

I suspect I'll have to write a custom Perl processor, to cut up a MIME message,
look for HTML bits, and reassemble after conversion...

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :