[plug] Web database stuff - Bollocks

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au
Thu Aug 23 15:54:38 WST 2001

> should be for it possible choices are php3, perl, sql, db...

PHP and Perl are alternatives to each other, SQL is different
altogether.  It stands for Structured Query Language and is a standard
way that you can query any decent database whether you do it using PHP
or Perl or C or using a command line tool or however.  "db" is probably
just short for database unless you are talking about db2 which is an IBM
database, an equivalent product to Linux databases like PostgreSQL and
MySQL (it's available for Linux now too, but is non-free).  My standard
recommendation is that if you think you'll be doing scripting on your
Linux system for other purposes and you want to cut down on duplication
of effort, use Perl.  If not, use PHP.  So need a scripting language
like Perl, plus a database like PostgreSQL, plus a Web server like
Apache.

> P.S Oh by the way before I forget, the Bollocks in the title is there
> for a reason. Trevor I know you have Bollocks in Perl... how is that
> going? What I'm working on is probably similar to Bollocks, any
> chance of seeing the source?

A "pass" from me on seeing Trevor's bollocks, thanks.

--
JEREMY MALCOLM <Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au> http://malcolm.wattle.id.au
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)