[plug] Mail Lists (was Mail Servers and before that Mail Delivery options)

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Thu Aug 23 16:39:47 WST 2001

Brad Campbell wrote:

> lynx -dump
> dumps the formatted output of the default document or one specified on
> the command line to standard output.

Lynx has lousy formatting, especially when you throw tables into the mix. Links
does a much nicer job, IMHO.

Still, the solution I'm playing with uses the html2text utility, which seems to
have lots of nifty tweaks you can do to the conversion process.

The hardest part of the whole process is munging complex MIME messages, and
keeping them whole. I've got a solution currently, which handles 1 MIME message
with parts, but doesn't seem to want to work with nested MIME messages. Still,
it'll suffice for the time being.

The whole setup goes something like this:
 * The public mail alias forwards the mail to two other aliases - one for Text,
and one for HTML/Non-Mangled.
 * The HTML one uses the normal smartlist script to deliver the mail as per
usual, to the mail list which includes all those who don't mind HTML mail
 * The Text one calls my custom script, which can handle ordinary mail of type
text/html, or a MIME message with HTML attachments. For each bit it mangles the
HTML into presentable text, and outputs the result, which is then piped to a
second "Text-only" mail list

It seems to work quite well! Only real issue is it's basically two mail lists -
one non-munged, and one munged. Since I handle subscription manually, that's no
big deal - I can add people to one or the other list based on their mail format
preference.

Matt!! If you've made it this far - how the smeg do I suppress the Resent-To
(and other) header that smartlist adds on?? I can't find much in the docs, and
a modified "strip header" solution from the FAQ only seems to work with
existing headers, not the ones smartlist adds...

*goes back to reading the docs*

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :