[plug] XFree

Carl Gherardi gherardi at cs.curtin.edu.au
Wed Aug 29 21:02:16 WST 2001

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Christian Müller wrote:

> I know I was told not to toy around with X after it is set up, but I did it
> anyway, as I wanted hardware acceleration. I tried to install the nvidia
> drivers and failed. The question now is, how do I get X running again on my
> debian box? I know Tony and James did something to it, as we had the same
> problem at the installfest, but I cannot remember what it was. I saved the
> original XF86Config-4 file, before I then deinstalled X and put X on there
> again, but now it keeps telling me that there is no fixed font available or
> something like that. What can I do to fix that. I think that there are
> supposed to be some scripts in the /etc/X11/xinit foldes, as well as in
> xserver, but both of these are empty.
>
> Christian

Missed the installfest.. but if in XF86Conig there is an invalid path to
your(FontPath options) then X gives you that error message.

Another thing - make sure you dont have the backup copy of XF86Config in
~/ as that file will override system defaults (took a long time to realize
that one night!)

Hope that helps

Carl