[plug] Linux Network Support

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 14 01:01:48 WST 2001

Kingmax NICs! Urgh!! Had lots of them timeout using the linux drivers of
yore (18 mths back)
I'd recommend anything with a Intel 2114x or DEC 2114x chip. (Intel bought
DEC's good old "tulip" chips :)
I'd also recommend NetGear FA-310TX for a named tulip card (DEC 21140
chip).
(that's if J.Mills can keep open unlike EdSys round the corner - Do'h!
:P )

As for switches? If you don't know the specifics any switch will do you.
It's only when you know you need +2Gbps backplane, automatic chatter
and/or speed partitioning, VLANing, or matrix-backplane expansion and lots
of other wizz-bang fruit that you'll need to seriously research a switch.

In other words... The kingmax is the one I have at home. leeching @ lan
parties is about as much work as it gets :)

Regards,

Craig Foster