[plug] Linux Network Support

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Fri Dec 14 08:53:03 WST 2001

On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 00:47, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> I'm looking at upgrading my Networking, and my Linux gateway has a
> 10Mbps card, and I want to upgrade it to 100Mbps. There's a cheapo
> Kingmax/Bromax NIC 10/100, but I can't find any tech info on it. Does
> anyone know what chipset it has (and if it's supported by Linux)?
>
> Similarly with a Netcomm 10/100. Anyone used it?
>
> On a related topic, I'm also looking at 10/100 switches (preferrably 16
> port). Again, the Kingmax comes in cheaper, but with hard to track down
> stats, so anyone with experience who can fill me in would be good!!
> (Basically, are they "cheap", or are they "inexpensive"...)

Get yourself a Netgear FA310TX, the Linux support is great and they're
very cheap these days; use the "tulip" driver.

Otherwise, 3COM NICs have always been good; we use lots of 3c59x cards
about the place; they've always worked fine. The Intel e100 network
cards are good, just don't use the Linux default driver, get the latest
version of the Intel kernel module (BSD licensed.)

Cheers,
Grahame

Grahame Bowland                       Email: grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
University Communications Services    Phone: +61 8 9380 1175
The University of Western Australia     Fax: +61 8 9380 1109
                                     CRICOS: 00126G