[plug] Linux Network Support

Arkem arkem at mornmist.2y.net
Fri Dec 14 14:04:59 WST 2001

> I've used both the Netcomm and the Kingmax and they are both decent
> cheap network cards. As a rule of thumb any network card that is
> less than $40 is probably using the Realtech 8139 chipset which is
> supported in the linux kernel. I haven't had any problems with the
> Kingmax (My gateway has two of these cards in) cards that I've used
> and do recommend them (because they are cheap and they work).

Just to confirm...
The Kingmax card I'm currently using (and I have a spare one sitting
in front of me) is labled Kingmax Fast Ethernet Adapter 10/100Mbps
and it definately uses the Realtech 8139 chipset (the chip on the
network card is actually a Realtech 8139C) these work and cost
approximately $25 (depending on where you buy) for a few extra
dollars you can get a similar Netcomm card but a lot of them are
using the exact same chips.

Regards
Paul Chamberlain