[plug] Debian Disks and Linux Magazines

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Tue Dec 18 22:35:20 WST 2001

> > Does anybody have any thoughts about differing Linux magazines?  The
> > most prominent of which are LinuxMag and Linux Journal.  There
> is also a
> > new one from the UK (can't remember the title though).  At over $16 an
> > issue, I am thinking about getting a subscription to one of these.
> > Anyone want to offer their view, at the risk of getting flamed? ;-)
> > Any magazines that people prefer over these?
>
> LJ is supopsed to be quite good, but I haven't subscribed to any.
> I find I
> read the web-zines, and thats sufficient for me. lwn.net, /., news.com,
> The Reg, etc.

LJ is a good magazine and I was subscribed to it for 2 years before I went
overseas. I do have to say that I also had some problem with deliveries
(some issue went astray) but LJ did extend my sub by an extras month for
each issue that I missed. It did also happen that they arere in the process
of changing delivery agents and there were problems that occurred as they
changed over. (This I remember them admitting to me some at the time).

Linux User is the mag you are thinking about (out from the UK). They release
there articles after a couple of months as PDf's from there website so check
out the quality before you subscribe. Very good articles.

Personally I used to sub to mags so I would have something to read on the
train. Unfortunately all the tech stuff goes out of date so quickly that
even a reference type publication can be nothing more than a fire starter in
a few months. In the end I just gave away my LJ mags to someone who was
wanting to learn about Linux as an advocacy. (I didn't have a place to store
them when I went overseas). If you are wanting the latest news and articles
for Linux web zines are the way to go *and cheaper).

Michael Hunt

Tony, if you are looking for some back issues I would be happy to donate
some copies that came in after I left the country. I'll bring them to the
next Plug meeting and they can either join your collection or the PLUG
library.