[plug] Matrox Dual Head experience

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Fri Feb 2 16:53:50 WST 2001

G'day all,
Just a quick note incase anyone is thinking of doing this..
Machine 1 had Debian Woody on it, Xfree 4.0.2 and the matrox .4 beta
driver compiled from source. Works really nicely, except no TV out, which
is the sole reason I bought the box. Oh well, back to win 98SE until matrox
release a new driver (Soon I hope)

Machine 2 had an old Millenium I 2048k Ram PCI Card and an
8 Meg G200 in it, Debian Potato, with a hand compiled X4.0.2 and
the Xfree MGA Drivers, with Dual 17 inch monitors..
WindowMaker 0.61.1.

Easy setup, just compile X out of the box, backing up and removing
/etc/X11 and /usr/X11R6.
make install X
xf86cfg detected both cards and monitors and set them up for me, All I had
to do was run the expert mode and change the default colour depth to 16.

I manually copied the old dirs relevant to windowmaker and xinitrc from the
Backed up dirs, copied WMState to WMState.0 and WMState.1 in my ~/GNUStep dir
and whee.. instant troublefree dualhead.

I like this game.. I'm looking for another 17 inch monitor, and some more cards
now. Plus the 15inch Microtouch touchscreen I have. Lets see how many heads I can
get on this sucker..

Installing X4.0.2 in potato was a joke really.. Just make sure you backup your old
dirs, just in case :p)

--
Brad....
                   /"\