[plug] Buffer full

Nigel Duff peregrin at iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 6 13:55:18 WST 2001

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 08:18:08AM +0800, Dennis Plester wrote:

> I have no experience with gdrdao or cdrdao, but I've done a lot of burning
> in my time in both windows and Linux. Was the buffer size set to a different
> value rather than 0 before, or have you only just noticed it. Usually when

 No. It always showed 100% on start-up.

> you get buffer under-runs, the problem is associated with the buffer inside
> the burner itself, which is fixed and totally unrelated to any settings in
> the burning software, or the operating system. Most burners have 2 - 4 MB
> but some of the faster burners have more.

 Ahh, thats what i thought. But i was starting to confuse myself and
thinking it was somehow software/kernel related.

> If you already know all of this, I'm sorry for stating the obvious, but
> additional system load at the time of burning is the primary cause of buffer
> under-runs, not software settings, operating system config, etc. You're not
> running Vmware while you are burning are you? Unless you have an absolute
> heap of RAM, this would be really pushing your luck.

 Yes, but its good to go back over anyway. I stopped vmware and even
removed unneeded modules. I tried xcdroast at the time, but that
was giving me errors as well. I tried some different CDs today and most
other programs (xcdroast,gcombust and cdr-toaster), aren't having a problem
with normal CDs but gdrdao still starts showing 0 buffer.

> BTW, is gdrdao/cdrdao any good? Does it have advantages over any of the
> other packages, apart from burning disk at once, which Xcdroast does now
> anyway?

I found the different packages are better at different things. Gdrdao
seems the best for doing VCDs. I like to duplicate CDs with Xcdroast
(Xcdroast doesn't seem to do an exact copy of VCDs, i have better luck
with gdrdao). Gtoaster for turning those mp3's into an audio CD and
Gcombust for making CDs from the file system.

> Dennis.

 Thanks for the input.

Nigel