[plug] STT8000a IDE Drive

Thomas, Andre asterix031 at dingoblue.net.au
Sat Jan 13 20:41:14 WST 2001

Hi all,

I am having a few problems with my Seagate tapedrive (STT8000a), a Travan
4/8 Gb tape running on RH7.0 (2.2.16-22).

I manage to write to the drive using the following command:

tar cxvf /dev/ht0 /home

And use the following command to retrieve the backup:

cat /dev/ht0 | tar -zxpv

This works fine till it reaches a certain point in the extracting process
and hangs.  It always hanhs at one point (I removed the file where it hanged
with a new tar file and it hang in a different place).

The only mention to the tape drive in the logs is:

kernel: ide-tape: hdd <-> ht0, 600KBps, 14*26kB buffer, 2600kB pipeline,
190ms tDSC

Anyone able to provide some pointers?

Cheers,
-André
---
Catch the cat in some tar and hit it with a pipe.