[plug] Linux FPS, was Celeron vs Duron

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Thu Jan 25 12:37:42 WST 2001

Mike wrote:

>thanks for the informative reply. Sorry for doubting the need!
>I guess I still think of Linux as a work & network platform.  How many 3D
FPS games are out on Linux these days? I've only >used the doom/quake
series.

Thanks to Loki, there's Quake 3 Arena, Unreal Tournament, Descent II, Heavy
Gear II and Soldier of Fortune that spring to mind. Deus Ex is currently in
beta, and there will be Starsiege Tribes 2 out later this year, that is
being developed for Linux alongside Windows simultaneously...

Another company has just successfully launched a Linux port of Sin.

Delving back, there is an unsupported patch to run Kingpin under Linux, and
I've heard that Half Life can be made to run quite well under Wine... So
well in fact, that Sierra are currently taking note of bug reports being
raised by Linux gamers, and are considering a special patch to make it run
perfectly under Wine... They have already suggested some fixes that are now
incorporated in the How-to.

I know there are probably better things to be doing in Linux than just
playing games, but hell it can be fun. It also makes a nice distraction when
you are waiting for your computer to do something else. I have played 3D FPS
and burnt a CD simultaneously successfully on many occasions. Makes my
"windows only" friends a little envious, considering they regularly make
coasters just by looking at their PC during a burn!

Dennis.