[plug] inittab respawn

Brian Tombleson brian at ParadigmIT.com.au
Mon Jan 29 20:34:18 WST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Andrews" <squirrel at emerge.net.au>

> It was then that I could see all the error messages sent by init.
> So my next question is why are these messages not sent to my terminal
logged
> on as root.

Well, for starters, there is no terminal during most of your boot-up
process.  The actual bootstrap messages are in /var/log/dmesg and everything
after the syslogd has bee started (early in the initialization after
bootstrap but before your network/terminal is up) start going to
/var/log/messages unless you have reconfigured the syslog daemon.

It *really* helps to have a terminal on a machine when debugging
system-level stuff.

- Brian.