[plug] upgrading to Duron

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Jul 9 15:29:57 WST 2001

Nathan Alberti wrote:

> Simon is on the right track...I have a Duron 750, Athlon 1.0Ghz and 1.2Ghz
> on a ABIT KT7A-RAID, MSI K7T Turbo and just got an EPOX 8KTA3.
>
> The MSI is a piece of crap....stay well away.....got weird kernel errors
> when running due to power management hardware issues.

Why is it crap?? I bought a MSI K7T Pro2 a while ago, and it's the most
impressive board I've bought (although the Abit BP6 has its coolness too). I've
had no technical problems at all, and performance is fine, layout is good, and
I've had no Power Management problems. Both Windows and Linux run fine on it.
I know friends who have the MSI K7T Pro2A, and they've also had no problems -
after patching to the latest BIOS.

> With your RAM be sure to get 1st party. Seems to make a big difference for a
> small price.

RAM is dirt cheap all 'round at the moment.

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :