[plug] en_GB kde i18n

R.Barnes wpickett at iprimus.com.au
Wed Jul 25 11:39:53 WST 2001

Hi all. I'm a newbie to plug and to Linux (but keen to learn), so I hope
you don't mind if it shows. On the subject of languages, I recently made
several attempts to install Mandrake 8 in a dual boot setup with WinMe
and on rebooting LiLo worked fine, but when booting into Mandrake the
boot seemed to stop as X font server was loading, or immediately after.
I tried the boot disk but got an error message that there was a problem
mounting the file system and mentioning something about panic (sorry I
can't be more precise). After several attempts using different install
settings I tried using a different language and it worked! In all the
English and the keyboard to US, setting the language to be used to US
English with the US keyboard fixed the problem completely and I have had
no problems since. I was just wondering if anyone else had encountered
such a problem with Mandrake 8? Also when attempting to change language
settings from KDE the only option provided is US English. Do I have to
install the UK dictionary separately to have it as an option?