[plug] Fwd: Test message

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 26 12:35:54 WST 2001

The following message was sent to the PLUG mailing list at the time shown
below, today, and appears to have not reached the mailing list. One that I sent
yesterday, also appears to have not reached the mailing list, and, other
messages that I have sent, to other, unrelated mailing lists, appear to have
not reached the mailing lists.

None of these messages have bounced.

I do not know whether it is related, but, in sending messages to Anne, she has
received a different version of the From address, to what her company mail
server received, and, to what I received, in my BCC copy. Her company mail
sever sent a receipt to the From address that I receive in my copies of the
full header, which is as shown in the header below, which is different to the
>From address that Anne received in her emails from me, today. She has been
receiving From addresses with the name of my computer, inserted in the From
address, which caused a reply to bounce.

The full headers, show the email application version, as

After using our mail server as the SMTP server, I had a problem with my system,
a couple of days ago, when I concurrently loaded Netscape, which, having the
SMTP server setting removed, crashed X-windows, when I tried to load Netscape,
causing me to have to reboot my system a couple of times. Either as a result of
that, or, coinciding with that, instead of outgoing messages being sent
immediately from kmail, the messages would take up to 2 minutes to send, with
the kmail send window sitting there looking at me, for the two minutes. I then
changed the SMTP server to the iinet SMTP server, yesterday, and, today, Anne
has been receiving messages that I send her, with the name of my computer,
inserted in the From address, which has caused replies to messages, to bounce.
I have now reverted to using our mail server, as the SMTP server, with the two
minute delay, to try to find whether the From addresses are still being changed
somewhere. The settings have been, "When sending mail-> Default setting -> send
now".

Would different From addresses appearing to different recipients of the same
message, be a kmail problem, or, an iinet problem?

--

Bret Busby

""So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988

Subject: Test message
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:10:15 +0800
From: Bret Busby <bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au>

The email at iinet is completely unstable, and has been, for the last several
days, with emails taking a matter of days, rather than minutes, to be
delivered, if and when they get delivered.

I just want to see whether this message goes anywhere, and, whether anything
comes back, as hundreds of our emails; including both incoming and outgoing,
appear to have been eaten by iinet.