[plug] ProcMail help needed

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Jul 29 22:30:55 WST 2001

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Chris Griffin wrote:
> Eudora says: "Connection refused", but I find nothing in the logs on RedHat
> 7.1 to verify this or to give me any clues.

Chris,

If you can send mail from the machine itself but not from elsewhere, it
could be a firewall script (ipchains/netfilter) that's blocking access.
Try three things:
1. "telnet localhost 25" on the server and get a response from the SMTP
server like :
220 mail.domain.com ESMTP Exim 3.12 #1 Sun, 29 Jul 2001 22:26:29 +0800

2. "telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 25" where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the ip address of
the network interface that the other machines are connected on, probably
the network card.

3. From one of those 'doze or other boxes, "telnet mailserver 25" again
where mailserver is the address of the mailserver in question.

If you don't get a response from any, the mail server doesnt seem to be
running.
If you get a response from the first but not the other two, then you need
to tell procmail to bind to the network card's interface.
If you get a response from the first two, but not the last it's most
likely a firewalling issue.
And lastly if you get a response from all three then there's something
seriously wrong with your client boxes :)

HTH,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham