[plug] Recommended read-only partitions?

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 3 15:15:01 WST 2001

Hi folks,

I have a P100 which will shortly be going into service
as our ADSL gateway.

Given that the system will mostly NOT be shutdown
correctly, I have installed journalling (ext3) on it,
but I thought read-only partitions would be even
better if possible. Also would help with security,
etc.

Question is, what partitions (meaning directory trees)
need to be writable? Obviously /var, /home, and /tmp
are safe bets, but what about others?

Idea being of course to put those on separate
read/write partitions, and have the rest on /, mounted
readonly.

Alternatively is there some way I can check the system
myself? (No, mounting all readonly and seeing what
breaks doesn't really count :)

TIA
Andrew

=====
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?