[plug] upgrading to Duron

Nathan Alberti nathan.alberti at broadlogic.com
Fri Jun 29 16:38:47 WST 2001

Simon is on the right track...I have a Duron 750, Athlon 1.0Ghz and 1.2Ghz
on a ABIT KT7A-RAID, MSI K7T Turbo and just got an EPOX 8KTA3.

The MSI is a piece of crap....stay well away.....got weird kernel errors
when running due to power management hardware issues.

The ABIT is nice...RAID is a waste of time but all in all the MB is nice.
Fan on the North Bridge so overclocking is no problems.

The EPOX is still sitting on the floor waiting to be installed....will let
you know how it goes. I was not a big fan of this manufacturer from past
experiences but I have been given good reports from many so though I would
give them another go. Supports Athlon 4 and good for overclocking.

The common chipset on all these boards is the VIA KT133A (Note the "A" -
Second Release)

With your RAM be sure to get 1st party. Seems to make a big difference for a
small price.

Duron 850 is a good target....they are cheap as at the moment.

Oh...don't forget to get a decent Heatsink/Fan, if the store has an option
to upgrade the bundled fan usually wise to take it.
See: (http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q2/010521/)

Regards,

Nathan Alberti