[plug] OT - web users doing without javascript

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Tue Mar 6 15:27:35 WST 2001

Hi Dave,

Can't help with the stats -- although I suspect that since default IE and NS
currently install with JS on, most users will browse JS enabled. The Flash
plugin is pretty standard for IE and NS also -- but as a general web design
principle we (the eMedia team here) avoid the use of JS/Flash for _site
navigation_ to maximise the accessibility of our public services.

On Tue, 06 Mar 2001, David Griffiths wrote:
> Does anyone know roughly what percentage of web users browse the net either
> with java script disabled or with browsers that don't support java script?
> (Or know of a relevant link?).

See above.

> Is this info passed to servers via environment variables?

None that I know of

> The reason for asking is that we are having a site designed that relies on
> javascript for some of the flash menu effects etc.

See above

> It gets badly messed up though with communicator 4.72 running under linux
> (and the two other browsers I tried on mac and windows as well) with
> javascript turned off, and I'm interested to know how many people are
> likely to be affected.

Probably not a huge number, but why disenfranchise them if you have a choice?
People who use page-readers (eg. sight-impared people) will probably not thank
you for a JS/Flash dependent menu system.

> I can imagine that a reasonable percentage of linux users would do this as
> they are probably more security concious than the "average" web browser,
> but talks with my colleagues gave me the impression that I was part of a
> small minority in this regard!

Minorities can get justifiably vocal if they feel they've been left out by
policy decision, or for the sake of site developer's eye candy!

Regards,
Steve