[plug] OT - web users doing without javascript

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Mar 6 21:15:28 WST 2001

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 05:24:07PM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, David Griffiths wrote:
> > Not too worried about me getting left out as opposed customers getting
> > the short straw here.
>
> I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but is it too much effort to also make
> a non-javascript/flash enhanced version for those without it? It wouldnt
> be too hard to figure in HTML if the user had javascript.. something like:
[ snip suggestion ]
> But I'm sure there must be a more efficient way you could find with a bit
> of toying. This is just the first thing I came to mind.

As an example of a site that _used_ to rely on a flash-based navigation
tool, and was useless without it:

http://www.davidchristie.com.au/

No intent to advertise my pimp here, just as an example of how flash and
non-flash options can coexist. Of course the javascript/non-javascript
situation is a little bit different, but the principle remains the same.

Admittedly this is coming from the perspective of someone who dislikes
javascript not in and of itself, but because of the way it is abused on
almost every javascript-dependent site I come across.

I think a lot of (slightly more clued than average) people turn javascript
off purely to get rid of popup windows (one of the things I like about
konqueror is the ability to turn off popup windows specifically, without
disabling the other capabilities of javascript).

> More spurious thoughts,

There are a couple of ways to approach this problem... if you wish to
design a site for maximum accessibility, you can either:

(a) Have a single HTML/etc source tree, where it IS possible to navigate
and access all the pages without javascript/flash, but browsers with those
features enabled will get more eye candy (said eye candy may also work as
an alternative navigation tool, etc).

(b) Have two or more separate (or partially separate) source trees, one
intended for the flash/javascript users, the other intended for those who
don't. This can work, but can also make life difficult if similar pages
need to be kept in sync with each other.

> Bernard.

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer, my terminal,
or the view out my window are purely coincidental.  Any resemblance between