[plug] Not happy Jan!

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Wed Mar 7 14:16:02 WST 2001

John Breen wrote:

> I've _still_ got a 500M Maxtor that I've been running with no errors since
> 1995.  It's dealt with fresh installs of Slackware, RedHat and Debian,
> countless upgrades and even with running windoesn't.
>
> I don't think it's fair to say that "Maxtors suck", it's probably just one
> batch of bad drives.  WD went through the same thing at about that time from
> memory, as did Seagate...  Seems to me it largely depends what you're doing
> with the drive, and what you're running on it...

I think I have had unfortunate luck with Maxtor drives..
Then again, I have had failures with WD & Seagate as well..
It has just been my experience that in 5 years and maybe 30 Quantum drives I
have never had a failure, and there all still ticking along nicely, in much abused
shock-prone and rough environments..
The Maxtors probably would have been ok if I did not take my PC home every night
and transport it by chucking it in the back of the car..
Having said that, My Quantum fireball's have taken that abuse every working day for
5 years and not had a problem.

--
Brad....
                   /"\