[plug] proper way to turn init services on/off

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Tue Mar 13 13:14:23 WST 2001

>    I want to be able to stop and start daemons such as mgetty (for faxes)
> without manually editing /etc/inittab, and kill -1 1 every time.

Change the runlevel field in inittab for mgetty to 3 (for example) and
make sure that everything else runs in both 2 and 3, then you can go

telinit 2

to kill mgetty and

telinit 3

to start mgetty

Probably not quite what you were after, but it's what sysvinit was
designed around, and will work on all distros and probably all sysvinit
based OSs.  I don't think there is a utility that will do exactly what you
want, but you could probably script one up.

 - Matt