[plug] Installing Debian

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Mar 19 11:40:10 WST 2001

Hi Ari

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Ari Finander wrote:

> 1- If you install the OS to boot from a floppy and not the HDD (I
> didn't want LILO to mess up my previous RH lilo which is working well
> for RH and Windows) how can one go about changing things so it will
> boot from the HDD (assuming RH LILO is configured correctly)?

Copy the kernel (most likely called "linux") to your RedHat /boot
partition and add a stanza like you did for Mandrake.

> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> Unable to communicate with X server!

That is a generic error saying "It didn't work" - you need to provide the
real error message, which should be contained in the lines above these
ones.

What are you using to configure X?
XF86Setup is the easiest to use, but may not work with all chipsets.
"apt-get install xf86setup" if you want to try it.

Otherwise, try "xf86config" which is the old text-based way to configure X

 - Matt