[plug] Re: Unix TN3270 program

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Mon Mar 26 10:37:27 WST 2001

	So... hang on....

	What is this winsurf emulation software they are talking about?

	From:	Jeremy Malcolm <Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au> on 26-03-2001
10:29 AM
	Please respond to plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	To:	Ben_Collier at dola.wa.gov.au@SMTP at Exchange
	cc:	plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange

	Subject:	[plug] Re: Unix TN3270 program

	It is a shame that DOLA has decided to restrict access to those
running
	Microsoft Windows.  I can see no technical reason why this should be
	so.  It should be very easy for you to modify your firewall settings
	allow connections on the TN3270 port only, which would allow users
	running other platforms such as Linux and Macintosh to connect with
	ordinary TN3270 emulation software.  This is what the Department of
	Minerals and Energy have done with their TENDEX access service.  I
would
	like to suggest that this issue be brought up with the responsible
	persons at DOLA for reconsideration.

	Ben_Collier at dola.wa.gov.au wrote:

	> Jeremy,
	>      Your E-mail regarding the CRS system has been forwarded to me
for
	> reply. The emulator you are using will not connect to the
proprietary
	> Winsurf emulation server that we use to allow access, also the
plugins /
	> active X controls available through the web page will only run on
32 bit
	> windows platforms. A direct link to the IP address of our
mainframe is
	> unfortunately not possible due to the restrictions on incoming IP
	> connections at our firewall.
	> Regards
	>
	> Ben Collier
	> A/Product Officer
	> Land Enquiry Centre
	> Land Information Products & Services, DOLA
	> Ph 9273 7341 Fax 9273 7802
	>
	> http://www.dola.wa.gov.au
	>
	> To:   Ben Collier/DOLA at DOLA
	> cc:
	> Subject:  Unix TN3270 program
	>
	> ---------------------- Forwarded by Peter Braithwaite/DOLA on
26/03/2001
	> 08:30 ---------------------------
	>
	> Jeremy Malcolm <Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au> on 21/03/2001
12:58:10

	> To:   lec at dola.wa.gov.au
	> cc:
	> Subject:  Unix TN3270 program
	>
	> I have received the information about land searching over the
Internet,
	> and I notice that it is just a mainframe connection using a TN3270
	> emulator.  The software that you supply seems to be only for
Windows but

	--
	Independent consulting solicitor* | _ .__ ._ _    |\/| _.| _ _ |._ _
	and technology consultant.**    \_|(/_|(/_| | |\/ |  |(_||(_(_)|| |

	Personal site: http://malcolm.wattle.id.au     /   Finger for GPG
key
	* http://www.ilaw.com.au ** http://www.terminus.net.au
jm at ilaw.com.au