[plug] A drastic response to memory problems

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Fri Mar 30 18:34:21 WST 2001

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Russell Steicke wrote:

> After lots and lots of failed kernel compiles (gcc exits with sig 11),
> and running memtest86 without any errors, and experiments with wait
> states etc in the bios, I finally succumbed and reduced the cpu speed
> from 733MHz to 550MHz.

Time for a bigger CPU fan/heatsink I think.
either that or clean/oil the old fan if it's clogged with dust.
Is your mainboard compatible with the lm-sensors project?
(www.netroedge.com/~lm78/)

If so, you could use it to keep an eye on how warm your CPU is getting
when it starts crashing, and confirm it's a cooling problem.

Anything around 35-45 degrees is fine.. If your CPU is consistently warmer
than that, it will start causing problems - which will be fixed by
dropping the speed or improving the cooling.

 - Matt