[plug] X Problem

Mark Nold markn at enspace.com
Wed May 23 21:45:56 WST 2001

Hi all,

I just installed RH7.1 on my laptop, during install i tested the X settings and
everything looked fine (in fact i used the graphical install which is using X
right?). But when running X with startx i can only see the right 1/4 of the
screen. If i exit X (with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE) i get back to a working prompt
but again i can only see the right 1/4 of the screen. (i can tell it works when
i do an ls i can see some bits of files) and i have to resart to get back to
normalcy.

I have looked through the doco for my laptop and it gives minimal details on
the monitor and video card (though Xconfigurator picks up the right video
card).

My questions are:
1. Any idea why X appears to work well in the install but not apon trying to
use it?

2. Any idea how i could refresh my screen so that i can recover without having
to reboot?

Thanks heaps,

mn

Mark Nold
markn at enspace.com
Senior Consultant

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.