[plug] SAGE-WA November Meeting - 6:00pm for 6:30 talk, Wed 7th November, Moon and Sixpence

Tom Hallam thallam at ee.uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 1 21:11:11 WST 2001

-----------------------------------+----------------------------------

                       SAGE-WA November Meeting

               System Administrators Guild of Australia
                          WA Regional Group
                      http://www.sage-au.org.au/

-----------------------------------+----------------------------------

Date:       Wednesday 7th November
Time:       Drinks at back of pub from 6:00pm
            Meeting talk at 6:30 in the RAINE room

Location:   The Moon and Sixpence
            300 Murray St Perth

Speaker:    Alan Main
            Functional Software
Topic:      System Monitoring - Trends and Traps

Functional Software has been undertaking quite a bit of work in the
UNIX/Linux/NT monitoring space in recent times and this talk summarizes
our observations about current products on the market and the trends we
are seeing.

Alan has been around the UNIX system management space since the mid
80's and with Functional since its inception in Perth in 1989.  He has
a fairly broad perspective on the industry given that he's worked across
wide range of roles (IT Manager, Managing Director, Sales, Marketing and
Consulting) and has been exposed to the industry in a number of
locations throughout Australia and overseas ( largely SE Asia, Korea, US
and the UK.)

To quote Alan: "at heart I am a positive cynic - I don't believe a
lot of what I am told or read about in marketing blurbs - I prefer to
deal in facts so my observations are generally based on first hand
knowledge - but I do see enough innovation within the industry and in
Australia to maintain a positive demeanour as to where we are all
heading."

-----------------------------------+----------------------------------
Get to know your fellow system administrators.

We shall meet at the back of the pub at about 6pm then move through
to the Raine room at about 6:30.  After the talk some light food will
be available.  Drinks can be purchased at the bar.

If you are interested in SAGE-AU or just curious then please come
along to the meeting.  If you are a SAGE-AU member then please bring
a friend or associate.  Please pass this message on to others who may
be interested in SAGE-AU.

Tom Hallam                                     ph: (08) 9380 1634
Information Systems Manager.                  fax: (08) 9380 1065
Dept. Electrical and Electronic Engineering. mobile: 0410 453 630
University of Western Australia                           rm: G72
http://www.ee.uwa.edu.au/~thallam    mailto:thallam at ee.uwa.edu.au