[plug] Which is the best option to dial up to ISP with Redhat 7.1 as a server to allow LAN access?

Aaron Ong/SIN/Lotus Aaron_Ong at lotus.com
Mon Nov 5 17:15:12 WST 2001

G'day,

Thanks to all your useful comments/advice will try out once I settle the
1st issue ... I am tackling the first problem that is getting redhat to
dial up to ISP ... reading the How To at Redhat.com - it mentioned about
netcfg and adding PPP interface but when I run netcfg I only get SLIP &
CSLIP. I am assuming it is the same and will try out tonight ...zzzzZZZ.

Best Regards

Aaron Ong

--------------------------- Encl. -----------------------------------

Hello, Aaron!

Yes; I too am having the same problem using Mandrake - appears to set up
modem, but doesn't dial and loses settings.  I think that in my case I
have been spoilt by the excellent GUI+driver interface and setups with
Windows(9x/NT).  So when I get into Linux GUIs I expect them to work the
same way - but they don't.  I note again here the comment made by Simon:
    'Setting this stuff up isnt that hard, read through the appropriate
howtos.
    Dont use gui dialers, most of them are crap. Again, check the HOWTOs.'
]

It appears to me - a Linux newbie - that I have to get right back to grass
roots understanding of Linux processes to be able to master the system. It
seems to be a bit like using Windows but always prepared to get into dos
and .ini files to tinker with the settings.

No flames please, I like Linux - a lot.  I just have to (continue) to bend
my mind around it.

Regards,
wayne.