[plug] Uni Course - UWA or Curtin?

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Fri Nov 16 09:59:51 WST 2001

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 05:36:11PM +0800, Andrew Simmonds wrote:
> Okay, I was wondering what people here reccommend that have studied or
> are currently studing these courses.
> Also what degree of integration/exposure do these courses have with
> linux and which would be most helpful to get a good job?

Before I say anything, I'll qualify that I am extremely biased, having
studied at Curtin for nearly 8 years.  I completed my BSc(multi),
followed by a BSc(compsci)(hons) and am now working (slowly) towards my
PhD.  I also teach for the School of Computer Science, and have taught
for the School of Business here as well.

Curtin's Computing Science school is very Linux oriented.  As one of the
people who originally pushed to have Linux in our labs, I'm happy to say
we now have only one NT lab left; all our other labs are Linux-based.
We have a few non-Linux servers, but these are all either Suns running
Solaris or BSD boxen.  We aren't really using the SGIs we have that
much, but the are still there.

Put simply, we like Linux  :)

As for which course is better, it would really depend on what you want
to get out of it.  The same applies to job prospects.  All of our
degrees have pretty good job prospects, but if you're after a particular
type of job, you would want to choose the applicable degree.

Also, when considering your degree and campus, do think about the
possibility of continuing your postgruate studies and moving into the
research field.  Your particular research interests may be better served
by one or the other university.

--
 Leon Blackwell                | A nice thing about not planning is
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | that failure comes as a complete