[plug] Uni Course - UWA or Curtin?

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Sat Nov 17 16:55:28 WST 2001

 From memory , the point isn't to teach you as many languages as
possible - its to teach you how to learn a language, design a program
and work in a team. They may teach you some basics of a couple of
languages, but you're really supposed to be able to RTFM and work it out
for yourself. This is especially true for Software Engineering, where
units such as Requirements Engineering and Software Engineering describe
the design process, but you don't touch any code at all. This is a
sensible way to do things as there is no one language that solves all
your problems and you never know when the next language may appear and
take hol in the market - if you've just spent 3 or 4 years learning Java
and suddenly everyone wants ADRIAN++ V2 then you're up the proverbial
creek, however if you've been taught how to read language documentation,
etc, then you'll be employable.

Regards,
Adrian

PS Curtin Curtin Curtin, Yay Yay Yay! :)

PPS Curtin has CoMA which compares to UCC, although it doesn't have all
the fun toys :)
And the Curtin Tavern is second to none!