[plug] Incoming Telnet Priority

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Nov 23 11:55:03 WST 2001

On Friday 23 November 2001 11:35, William Kenworthy wrote:
> There's actually an extensive list of things that telnet can do that ssh
> seemingly cant starting with machines that have no ssh deamon (and
> cannot have one installed),

Eh? There's very few that OpenSSH doesn't cover?

> to checking ports such as mail,

That's the client, not the server.

> to company
> firewalls that only allow telnet gateways

That's the fault of the firewall, not the protocol, and any company with
telnet ports open to the world is begging to be cracked anyway.

> that they can monitor

One of the major points in favour of SSH, is it not? (-:

> And telnet is used on a
> lot of communications devices besides desktop computers.

Again, client not server. Also, we're discussing a full-blown machine here,
not a toaster with a UTP socket.

Cheers; Leon