[plug] mgetty problems

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Nov 28 10:34:25 WST 2001

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, John breen wrote:

> hi guys
>
> I have a debian potato here with a 2.2.18 kernel on it (problems with
> isdn on 2.2.19), and I'm trying to get mgetty to work so I can dial in.
>
> Everything LOOKS right, but when I dial the inbound modem, I get a
> message in /var/log/messages that says
>
> LCP: timed out waiting sending Config-Requests
>
> and the thing disconnects.
>
> so, what I have is in /etc/inittab a line saying
>
> ---
> S2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x0 -s -D 57600 ttyS2
> ---
>
> /etc/ppp-options is as per the attached text-file
>
> /etc/ppp-options is set up correctly
>
> and /etc/mgetty/login.conf has the line
>
> ---
> /AutoPPP/     -     a_ppp     /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login debug
>
> everything, so far as i can see looks correct.  But, I get these
> problems when I test the dialup.

I had similar issue when I did this.   The way I got arround it was to
comment out the defaul line and add this one  ie:
#/AutoPPP/ -    a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login debug
/AutoPPP/ -     -   /usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/options.autoppp

Then my  /etc/ppp/options.autoppp

# cat /etc/ppp/options.autoppp
lock
asyncmap 0
crtscts
modem
noktune
name poseidon
auth
login
-chap
+pap
ms-dns aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

My pap-secrests was:
---
# Secrets for authentication using PAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
#
# Every regular user can use PPP and has to use passwords from /etc/passwd
*       poseidon        ""      *
---

For me it was the "name poseidon" and tying that into my pap-secrets that
fixed it.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein