[plug] For your amusement: Mandrake 8.1 release announcement

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Oct 1 10:17:10 WST 2001

Some of you will have already seen the text version of this. (-:

For the curious, Microsoft's original XP announcement email went out in at
least two batches of around 1000 addresses each, with all of the addresses in
the header of each messages. There may only be two batches, as I've recieved
several copies of each list from various people, but if there are more, I'm
happy to add them to the list. (-:

The email versions were sent out slowly, personalised, and with a different
message ID on each message.

    http://cyberknights.com.au/MS-OEM-list-email.html

Before we get the distro flamewars cooking, I chose to promote Mandrake NOT
necessarily because I think it is the best distro ever (for what?) but for
the following very specific reasons:

  * It was released at just the right time

  * It gets rave reviews in the press for ease-of-use

  * At least one person has claimed that XP derived some features from it

  * It is shipped installed by a major manufacturer (HP)

  * I use it often and so can answer sticky questions about it

Cheers;