[plug] raid

Nathan Alberti nathan.alberti at broadlogic.com
Mon Oct 1 14:09:38 WST 2001

If you have a decent system, give software raid a go. I have the same MB and
was looking into doing the same, the performance difference is not that
great from software to hardware with these inbuilt controllers and real easy
to set up. The general information I got was that the RAID controllers on
all the new MB's are more hardware than software anyway, I have found the
Linux software RAID to be reliable with good performance as well as
flexibility due to the fact you do not have to have matching hardware
because you can just use any partition in an array.

Hmmm...not sure what he means by useless....RAID 0 performs well and RAID 1
works well for mirroring...it's quite usefull to me...not sure of his
justification for this comment...

I also have one of the 3ware IDE raid cards running RAID 0 this is a great
product and in certain applications will outperform SCSI....and no...I am
not just saying this cos it says so on the box :-)

Regards,

Nathan Alberti